Index > About Us > Protecting Heritage Resources

Protecting Heritage Resources

In achieving its cultural heritage objectives, the tools that the Municipality has at its disposal are the goals and objectives of the Official Plan, the Provincial Policy Statement and the Ontario Heritage Act.  The Clarington Official Plan sets out the goal or preservation, restoration and utilization of Clarington’s heritage resources. The Provincial Policy Statement states that significant built heritage resources and significant cultural heritage landscapes shall be conserved.

The Ontario Heritage Act was amended in 2005 to provide municipalities with greater control over demolition
of heritage resources along with other matters.   The amendments to the Ontario Heritage Act and Bill 51 (Planning Reforms) provided additional tools and greater flexibility to Municipalities with regard to heritage matters. 

To consider the potential alternatives to demolition the Municipality has two options: it can either initiate the heritage designation process to delay the demolition while an appropriate solution is reached with the owners or it can list the property on a Municipal Register which gives Council 60 days to review the demolition application, once it is received.

Properties recorded on the cultural heritage inventory where there has been or could be a demolition permit application made have been added to the Municipal Register as follows: 

 

NON-DESIGNATED BUILDINGS ON THE
MUNICIPAL REGISTER OF PROPERTIES OF 
CULTURAL HERITAGE VALUE OR INTEREST

MUNICIPAL ADDRESS

STRUCTURE

 

Boys Training School /POW Camp
2020 Lambs Road, Bowmanville

Triple Dorm
Kiwanis House
Infirmary
Dining Hall
Natatorium
Jury House

19 ½ - 23 King Street West, Bowmanville

Commercial / Residential Building

33 King Street West, Bowmanville

Commercial / Residential Building

106 Beaver Street South, Newcastle Village

Cement Block House

107 Beaver Street South, Newcastle Village

Cement Block House

15 King Avenue West, Newcastle Village

Commercial Building

4 and 10 King Avenue East

Commercial Building

7755 Old Scugog Road, Enniskillen

Accessory building

Camp 30/Boys Training School

Was designated a national historic site in April 2013 for the following reasons:

  • when it opened in the mid-1920s, the Bowmanville Boys School was widely considered the most progressive institution of its kind in Canada.  A rare example of Prairie School architecture in Canada, Bowmanville’s modern architecture, campus style plan, professional staff, open, semi-domestic environment, and broad educational programme for boys aged 8-14, placed it at the head of the youth reform movement;

  • during the Second World War, the school was adapted to serve as an internment camp, known as Camp 30, for German prisoners of war captured by the Allies. Its principal buildings, used from 1941 to 1945 for internment, remain at the site although guard towers, fencing and temporary barracks were dismantled after the war when the camp was turned back into a school. Camp 30 was the site of a small but infamous riot popularly known as the Battle of Bowmanville.
To understand more of the history of this unique site please visit the ACO Clarington Branch website at http://www.camp30.com/


Triple Dorm


The triple dorm buildings are more traditional in style with peaked roofs and sash windows, but with brick and stucco façades they make reference to Arts and Crafts houses as well as loose references to the Prairie style of the other buildings.
Building originally contained only two main interior dividing walls thus creating three sections or houses for the boys. Within each section there are half walls to provide privacy to the occupants while maintaining a open concept in the building.

Building that “Great Escape” was carried out in. A competition between the Navy and Air Force and they were digging two different tunnels to see who would escape first both being dug from House IV. One was discovered when a gardener put his shovel through the earth and through the roof of the tunnel. Navy‟s tunnel was discovered when the ceiling collapsed from the weight of the earth the day before the planned escaped and the Air Force tunnel was discovered when Canadian Guards were probing the ground with an auger looking for tunnels.

Jury House

An unusual collection of buildings in the Prairie style of architecture. This style is underrepresented in Ontario and Canada at large, with few examples ever built, let alone retained. Characteristics of the style include a strong horizontal character, heightened by long, gently pitched rooflines and other linear elements complementing the flatness and openness of the prairies. Of note in this building is the central clerestory level which heightened the central space of the interiors and provided natural lighting while maintaining a strong horizontal character. Named after Mr. J.H.H. Jury who donated the Darch Farm to Alex Edmison in order to establish a Boys Training School in 1922. Used as a dorm for both boys and POWs. Could house up to 36 occupants.

Kiwanis House

Used as a dormitory and a program building. Also contained five maximum confinement rooms for boys.
Kiwanis donated funds toward the boys school which is why the building was named after them.

Infirmary, hospital, general’s house

Prairie style of architecture. Fireplace in office is of roman brick and was originally gas powered from the gas struck during the building of the site which fueled the district heating system. Where the highest officer‟s were housed during WWII (general‟s house). Also provided dental care. When girls were transferred into the training school, this was their dormitory on the ground floor. Basement had hobby rooms including photographic dark room General Von Ravesnstein was one of the generals housed here. He fought under Rommel in the African desert as commander of the 21st Panszer Division. He was the POW Camp Commander General Schmidt is the other General who was at the Camp. POWs also remember a General Friemel in their accounts of the Battle of bowmanville. They were the highest ranking POWs in Canada.


Dining Hall, Cafeteria

Buildings (cafeteria, hospital, jury house) represent an unusual collection of buildings in the Prairie style of architecture. This style is underrepresented in Ontario and Canada at large, with few examples ever built, let alone retained. Characteristics of the style include a strong horizontal character, heightened by long, gently pitched rooflines and other linear elements complementing the flatness and openness of the prairies. Of note in this building is the central clerestory level which heightened the central space of the interiors and provided natural lighting while maintaining a strong horizontal character. Over the years this building has undergone only minor changes and remains intact as built in 1924. This is the first structure built on the site.

Battle of Bowmanville main site, where the prisoners used garden hoses connected to heating system to dose guards and drive them back. This building was built to house 300 diners in anticipation of the future use of the site even though there were only 16 boys at the school when it opened in August 1925. This was one of the buildings in which POWs barricaded themselves during the Battle of Bowmanville. One POW Petrenko recalls the Canadian Guard breaking in through the windows around the top of the building and them rappelling down the interior walls to fight with the POWs. Officers ate in the main part of the cafeteria. A temporary addition on the side of the building was where Other Ranks ate.

Gymnasium/ Pool (Natatorium)

One of the first indoor pools built in Canada. Fire damaged, pool no longer meets regulations for a swimming pool with regard to deck area, etc. Gym has hardwood floor – regulation size basketball court. Pool was used actively by community members and many learned to swim here.


19 ½  - 23 King Street East and 33 King Street East Bowmanville

On April 29th, 2008 a devastating fire destroyed two heritage buildings in downtown Bowmanville located at numbers 25 - 27 and 29 - 31 King Street East. The buildings were so badly damaged that an Emergency Order was issued and they were subsequently demolished. The structures located to the east and west being19 ½  - 23 King Street East and 33 King Street East were also damaged but not to the extreme that demolition was deemed necessary. These two buildings sat vacant for the remainder of 2008.  Early in 2009, the Clarington Heritage Committee and Municipal Staff requested Council add the fire damaged buildings to the Municipal Register.

The building located at 19 ½ to 23 King Street East is one of the oldest buildings remaining in the downtown core. It was built shortly after a fire in 1868 destroyed the previous building on the site. The two buildings that were demolished and 33 King Street East formed the grouping of structures known as the Andrew Block, which was built in the early 1880s. Both buildings are recorded as Primary heritage resources in
the cultural heritage resource inventory.




19 ½  - 23 King Street East, Bowmanville
 
33 King Street East, Bowmanville

106 and 107 Beaver Street, formerly 49 and 63, Newcastle

These two houses were built around 1905 by John Hall, a prominent builder and contractor originally from Orono, Ontario.  Hall was born in 1869 and died in 1926.  It appears that he moved from Orono to Newcastle around 1905.  The April 1905 edition of the Orono Times advises that he purchased the property on the east side of Beaver Street, south of the old Massey factory “from R. Warren for $1500 and intends to erect two residences on the property.”

These two houses are very early examples of the use of cement block for residential building purposes.  John Hall built most, if not all, of the early cement block houses in Newcastle, Orono and in the former Township of Clarke.  The blocks were usually made on site.  In order to make them more attractive, Hall and his brother Frank experimented with making coloured blocks, but apparently this was not successful.  The ornamental pieces over the windows were also made by Hall.

These are the only two known remaining cement block houses in Newcastle.  There are two similar cement block houses in Orono Village, also built by Hall circa 1919 (Main Street South, east side, and Sommerville Road, north side – last house).  There is one similar cement block house in Bowmanville on Lowe Street, however, it is not known if Hall built the home. Other examples of cement block construction may exist but these homes on Beaver Street are some of the finest examples.

These buildings were listed on the Municipal Register as a result of the application for rezoning of the property at 49 and 63 in April 2009. The proposed parking lot expansion would have seen the demolition of these two valuable heritage buildings. The owner undertook to move the buildings south on Beaver Street.



106 Beaver Street, Newcastle
 
107 Beaver Street, Newcastle



NE corner - Cultural Heritage of 4 and 10 King Avenue East   

This building was built circa 1865 as a mixed use building.  The ground floor contained offices, small shops, kitchens and parlours with bedrooms above.  The Newcastle Village post office was right at the corner of the building from the 1880s until 1923 when the post office moved into the newly constructed Newcastle Village Community Hall.  Classic Revival architecture was very popular in Ontario from the 1830s to the 1860s.
This building exhibits those architectural elements in its roof line with return eaves, as seen on the side elevations, and heavily detailed cornicing. Most of their original exterior architectural features of this structure remain intact.  The current owners have maintained the structure and received two Community Improvement Plans for brick restoration of the Mill Street North and King Avenue East facades.  

 SW Corner - Cultural Heritage of 15 King Avenue West

George Strange Boulton sold this corner lot to George Jacobs in 1841.  Jacobs was a commission merchant and dealt in produce, lumber and timber.  He had a general store on the property with his lumber yard behind the building.   He closed the business by 1856 and then rented the building for a number of uses.
By 1879 it became the Windsor Hotel, run by Lewellen Dayman.  In 1896 the Hotel and the entire block
was destroyed by fire.  A new building was built on the lot and by 1907 Joseph Coulson had purchased the corner and opened a store advertised as “The Busy Corner”.  In 1908 Coulson purchased the bell telephone line between Bowmanville and Port Hope.  It is assumed that the switchboard was located in the building.

The building housed a general store and then eventually became the IGA in 1951.  When the more modern IGA was constructed further east on King Street this store became a hardware store, and while changing franchises, it remains a hardware store today.

The building located at the southwest corner, 15 King Avenue West, has been modified on the first storey but its second floor has seen little change since it was originally constructed.  The property has received Community Improvement grants to assist with the facade restoration, signage and lighting.

 
   


7755 Old Scugog Road


East Elevation fronting on Scugog Street 
 
South Elevation

Robert McLaughlin, the founder of General Motors of Canada, was born on the family homestead in Tyrone.  In 1867 McLaughlin built two cutters in his driving shed in Tyrone and by 1869 his business had prospered to the extent that he established the McLaughlin Carriage Works in Enniskillen on Scugog Street.  The enterprise expanded rapidly and was moved to Oshawa in 1877 where it became the largest carriage works in the British Empire.  Known locally as the McLaughlin shed, the accessory structure located at 7755 Old Scugog Road is the only remaining evidence of the McLaughlin Carriage Works operation in Enniskillen.  Subsequent uses of the building included a wagon and blacksmith shop owned by brothers Pat and Jim Maroney. The structure’s relation to the McLaughlin fame has been recognized by a sign on the building which was painted by local artist Russ Gordon and donated in 2003 by Edgar and Annie Wright, long-time residents of Enniskillen.