Index > About Us > Designated Properties

Heritage Resources Lost

1909 Bloor Street
Concession 1, Part Lot 25, Darlington Township

The "Samuel McLellan" house is an excellent example of the type of fieldstone farmhouse that was built in Darlington Township through the mid-19th century.  The property originally incorporated a verandah on three sides with a steep roof and lacy trelliage. Samuel McLellan was born in Ireland in 1819, and came to Canada sometime before 1854.  In the 1861 census Samuel, his wife Jane and two daughters are living in a one and a half storey log house, but the census notes that "stone is being built". 

The "Samuel McLellan" house was designated by Council in 1990 by by-law 90-186.  The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 418 link between the 401 and 407 to be constructed.  Council repealed the designation after the house was demolished.

5415 Solina Road
Conc. 5, Pt. Lot 24, Township of Darlington

This fine red brick Victorian home was built by local farmer Daniel Hogarth in 1874.  Of particular note are the exterior brick work in the running bond pattern, gingerbread trim; on the interior the wainscoting in the dining room and kitchen and the original pine floors.

The house was designated by Council in 1989 by by-law 89-187.  The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 407 to be constructed.  Council repealed the designation after the house was demolished.

5531 Bethesda Road (The Werry House)
Darlington Township

DSCF1854

Built of rubble fieldstone with red brick voussoirs over the openings, the Werry House was one of the earliest stone farmhouses in the Township.  One and a half storeys in height, the house was unusual in that it is 5 bays wide rather than the more common 3 bays.  The brick voussoirs were also unusual in a stone house and are indicative of its early date.  The house was constructed between 1849 and 1851.

The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 407 to be constructed.

7500 Highway 35/115

The one and a half storey house was constructed in the late Georgian style of coursed red, grey and black granite blocks with large stone quoins of the same material at the northeast and southeast corners.  The windows were six-over-six sash windows with decorative stone arches and stone sills.  The centrally placed door was recessed with a fanlight, three paned sidelights and decorative wooden panels and door surrounds. There were two internal brick chimneys; one on the south gable end and the other on the west elevation, with alterations that suggest there would have been another chimney on the north end of the house originally.   

The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 407 to be constructed.

5658 Bethesda Road 


The Richard Foley house was representative of the type of centre gable farmhouse commonly found in the Township.  A storey and a half in height and built of red brick, the house had returned eaves and six-over-six glazing seen in many houses of this type.  The eave brackets, the segmentally arched window in the gable, the buff brick over the windows, and the front door with sidelights and a rectangular transom were specific to this house as those details tend to vary from house to house.

The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 407 to be constructed.

                                          
5681 Acres Road (T
he Cole House) 

DSCF1866

The one and a half storey house was the third house built by the Cole family on Acres Road.  The house, constructed in the 1860's, was a good example of a fieldstone house being built in the Township during this period.  The house had large stone quoins accenting the corners of the house and rectangular door and window openings with radiating stone voussoirs.  There were no chimneys on the main roof, but an external chimney had been built on the north wall.

The house was demolished by the Ministry of Transportation in 2015 to allow for the 407 to be constructed.